Community Public Library
An Historical Outline
October 1, 1977 Rupert Community Public
Library dedicated as an "Outpost Library". It had only one of its
two current wings at that time.
October 12, 1977 The library was open 30
hours per week with Marjorie Osborne as "librarian". The
community had provided the site and foundation andt he WVLC provided
the building. The WVLC was to provide the librarian's salary and
books, while the community was to provide maintenance and utilities.
1977-78 there was a seven member "library
committee" under the direction of the Greenbrier County Public
Library. Their members included: Betty Crookshanks, Tina
Mullins, Jeanne Brenneman, Hansel Poling, Glenda Killen, Beulah Price,
July 1978 The board reorganized to be
independent of Greenbrier County Public Library, with a five member
board: Betty Crookshanks, Tina Mullins, Hansel Poling, Beulah
Price, Bruce Brenneman.
The Town of Rupert became our appointing authority. The 78-79
budget was $6,600.
July 1981 Hansel Poling and Beulah Price
left the board and were replaced by Gail Ratliff and Kathy Adkins
July 1983 Kathy Mankins left the board, replaced
by Rita Bostic.
1978 Rupert Library had a collection of 4827
volumes and a circulation of 14,645. By 1984, the library had a
collection of 8426 volumes and a circulation of 21,146.
December of 1984 Rupert Library requested an
additional wing. The addition would be approved in August of 1986
and the unit came from the Ronceverte library, which would receive a
new facility in its place.
April 1987 Work on the new addition was
completed. The state paid $3868 and the Rupert Library paid $1000.
May 1992, Rita Bostic left the board and was
replaced by Betty McClung.
May 1, 1994 Marjorie Osborne retires as
librarian after 17 yeras of service and is replaced by Jaquelyn Wheeler
Hopkins on April 25.
October 1994 Tina Mullins resigns from the board
and is replaced by Rondie Butler.
November 16, 1995 Jaquelyn Wheeler Hopkins
resigns as librarian and is replaced by Cherie L. Davis on December 19,
1999 Novella Perkins joins the staff as a Green
May 2000, Novella Perkins is hired as a library
July 2, 2000 Contract entered with
Greenbrier County Public Library for them to be our regional library.
October 2002 The 25th Anniversary of
Rupert Library is observed.
Fall 2002 the front porch is provided by a
July 2003 Betty Crookshanks leaves the
board and is replaced by Julie Coughlin.
Feb 2004 Karen Hiser, WVLC, notifies us that all
board members must be residents of the jurisdiction of the appointing
June 20, 2004 Cherie Davis resigns as librarian
after 8.5 years service to become director of Ronceverte Public
Library. She is replaced by Valerie Garrett-Miller on June 21,
November 30, 2004 Valerie Garrett-Miller resigns
as librarian after 5 months and is replaced by Carol McClung on January
July 2005 Bruce Brenneman, first non-resident of
Rupert whose term expires after the new jurisdiction residential rule
leaves the board and is replaced by Glenda Killen.
2013 The heirs of the Shafer Hardware building
in Rupert deeded the building to the Town of Rupert stipulating it be
used as the public library for Rupert. The Shafer family opened
the Hardware store in 1949 and the store was a thriving part of Rupert
for many years. Mina Shafer, widow of son Bill Shafer, was eager
to see the building become a vital part of the community once
again. Her generous gift has stirred the hearts of many Rupert
citizens living in the Rupert area presently and Rupert citizens living
throughout the USA. The community has a new library they are
October 1, 2013, the new Rupert Public Library
opened its doors for business.